International Jobs
Register       Sign in

Brazil Immigration, Visa, Employment, Residency and Sponsorship


Which industries employ expats in Mexico?

What are the types of employment visas offered?


How can I get an employment visa?

The first step is to get a job offer from a Mexican legal entity. Next, you need to request your employment visa from the Mexican government or by visiting a Mexican consulate outside of Mexico.

Can I apply for an employment visa on my own?

Yes, but takes more time and you must have a job offer before the submission of the request. 

Who can I hire to assist me in processing my papers?

There are many different companies in Mexico that can support you with the process. GlobalMC is one of the best options.

What are the documents I need to submit?

How long do I have to wait for my papers to be processed?

After the papers have been submitted to the Immigration authorities, two to three months in average.

Where can I check on the status of my application?

You may check on the status of your application HERE

What will my proof of employment visa be?

If you received the approval outside of Mexico, it will be a letter that must be changed for a card in the Mexican institute of migration, Mexico City. (All visas). The real proof is the FM3/FM2 card.

What are the government fees I have to pay for while I’m on my work visa?

2013 fees are:

How long is the validity of the employment visa before it expires?

One year for FM2, for FM3, could be 1 to 4 years.

If my passport expires before my employment visa expires, what should I do?

Your employment visa is a card and it is not stamped on your passport. Therefore, you should complete the process of a new passport and notify to the Mexican Immigration authorities about the change during the next 30 days after the issue date of your new passport. Please check the expiration date of your visa in order to avoid timing issues.

When my employment visa expires, how can I re-enter Mexico and accept a new job?

Is there a grace period to renew employment visa? 

No, the process starts 30 days before the due date and there is nota grace period in place.

Can I come to Mexico on a tourist visa to search and apply for jobs?

Yes, you can use your tourist visa to search and apply.


What happens if an employer asks me to work immediately without an employment visa? 

It will be a compliance issue for you and for the company. Fines and penalties might be issued for both (employee and employer). In addition the employee might be deported; affecting his personal records for the current/future visa processes.

How do I make sure I don’t get banned from re-entry?

By following the immigration rules and due dates.


How can I transfer my employment visa from one employer to the next?

By notifying the immigration offices about the new employer during the next 30 days with a letter and attaching the documentation of the new employer.

Aside from obtaining an employment visa, how can I have residency in Mexico?

You can request a Permanent/Temporal residency In Mexico if you proof that you have economic stability to live in Mexico. Please keep in mind that if you obtain such residency, you are not going to be able to work during your stay in Mexico.


How can my partner / spouse or children who work and live in Mexico sponsor my residency?  

They need to fill out a special form of request and attached the proof of the relationship. The form should be delivered to the Mexican Authorities of Immigration.

Can I get a job soon after my family sponsors my residency?

You can apply for a job as soon as you get you residence papers, depending on your skills and expertise.


How can I apply for permanent residency and acquire citizenship when I get my employment visa? 

You need to have a FM2 for at least 5 years, after that you can apply for permanent Immigration and/or a citizenship.

Does Mexico have single and multiple visa entries? How do I get a multiple visa entry?

Can an expat’s child born in Mexico acquire citizenship?



I am Mexican currently living overseas with a foreign nationality. What are the requirements for my partner to be able to reside with me in Mexico?

1st thing, you must legalize your relationship with your partner, according to the Mexican laws. Such legalization process can be done before you travel to Mexico in a Mexican consulate. After the legalization, your partner will need to request the Mexican nationality. Otherwise, your partner will need a visa during her/his time in Mexico.

Where can I find more information on work visa, residency and citizenship?

Through the website of the Mexican Institute of Immigration.


What should I do in order to have a successful relocation?

Do I have to learn the local language in order to get a job in the country?

Depending on the region, company and Job. In the tourist places is not going to be so necessary for a job, however, it will be necessary for your day to day activities.

Where should I learn the local language?

There are multiple language institutes and professional teachers in all the country. Our suggestion is to contact the language center before visit it. We can offer guidance if you need it.


In which countries are Mexicans exempted from visa when traveling? – For tourism purposes only







Paris Luna Batalla is the General Manager and co-founder of GlobalMC, with more than 8 years of experience in multinational companies focused on Latin American markets in companies like GE, Philip Morris, New York Life Insurance Company,and others. He provides and implements solutions for finance, human resources management & global payroll compliance, including four years in HR services and three years in finance. Proactive and energetic, with an strong knowledge in business & change management in a long and wide range of businesses (Corporate, Financials Services, Tobacco, Retail Services, Pharma, Energy, Insurance.

GlobalMC is a first class services company based in México City. Our mission is to provide the best consultancy services to companies that want to start operations in LATAM. GlobalMC is the business partner that your company need in the region to ensure or increase your corporate compliance level.  

Our services:

  • Global Mobility advisory for companies that want to start operations in LATAM;
  • Immigration. - Tax and Legal;
  • Financial risk analysis of LATAM markets;
  • Analysis of labour compliance for LATAM market. (Including operational risk of payroll and HR policies and practices);
  • Business Consultancy of new business and startups.

Please remember the slogan of the company: “in our current world, compliance and integrity are... everything.”

Contact Information:
Email: /
Telephone No: (+52) 5528816811
Address: Av. Reforma 342 - F26, Col. Juarez, CP 06600, Mexico DF. nor the author guarantee the accuracy of the information on this page. It is recommend that particularly prior to your travels you check with the relevant government authority. Please contact us with any updates you may have. Last updated 18 October 2013.

Search and browse for jobs worldwide. Find work or recruit the ideal candidate TODAY!